And I’m making potato salad for the OLOTEAS ritual potluck today. Now, you should know that I make the best potato salad ever. The purist’s potato salad. I keep it very simple and folks who don’t like potato salad like mine. For one thing I put in a ton of eggs. And I have a family secret ingredient. Narcissus hates that secret ingredient but he loved my tater salad. And I hate things like olives and capers and sweet pickles and crap like that in this particular salad and don’t bring Miracle Whip anywhere near me. Feh. Bleah. Criminal. Just the basics folks and that’s good enough but really it’s the best ever.
My Potato Salad
- However many potatos you need to make the size of salad you need
- 6-9 eggs
- Mayonaise (Best Foods is the one I recommend, it really is the best)
- Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper
- Secret Ingredient (which happens to be dill pickle juice from the pickle jar, about 1/4 – 1/3 of a cup)
- Cook those potatoes until they are fairly soft. Nothing worse than biting into a potato that is al dente in my opinion. You need just enough solid potato to keep it together but enough mooshy potato to make it creamy. I do not peel my potatos but when I cut them up for the salad, I get rid of the about 80% of the skins at that time. It just happens really.
- Hard boil the eggs.
- Dice the potatoes and eggs (after peeling the eggs of course)
- Add pickle juice
- salt and pepper to taste (add more after the mayo and mustard most likely)
- Be very generous with the mayo and and temperate with the dijon mustard. You want a creamy mix, no dry areas, just a little more than you think you might. I usually start with a bit and keep adding until I get the right consistency and flavor. Hard to have too much mayo but it’s a fine line between perferct and too much mustard.
- C’est Magnifique!
I’m picking up my friend Ruth at 2:30 and we’re off like the Dixie Chicks to fun in the sun. And perhaps a dip in the pool. I’m taking my bags and putting them out just in case someone is in the mood to shop although it will be stealth merchanting really. Woohoo! Ritual, good friends, good food, sun, shade, and water. Can’t ask for much more than that.
I woke up this morning and it occurred to me that I might run into Narcissus there and it became very clear that I’m okay. I’m finally free. Yes! But how cool would it be if he went somewhere else today? Wouldn’t miss him a bit.
Also the mailman dropped off my new tarot deck, Pearls of Wisdom. This is an art deck for sure. Vibrant colors and very busy. But it has elements that I just love and it’s going to be another of my embroidery inspirations…